Wednesday, April 17, 2013


Our neighbor and his wife arrived at about 8:30 this morning. He had called this past weekend to tell me that he was going to take the day off to come help me get his bull off my land. The bull has been here for about a month. He's been troubling for us because he kept opening the water faucets and using the faucet's PVC pipe to scratch his underbelly, basically walking over and bending it all to hell. I was sure he was going to break one of the water pipes.

I directed my neighbor to our stock trailer and helped him hook up. I then started up the tractor and Janice put a bag and a half of cattle cubes in the bucket. Janice jumped on the tractor's side step and off we went to round up the bunch and lead them to our corral. Once they saw that we had cubes we easily got them moving towards the corral pulling the bull with them. As we got close Janice got off and opened the gate. I continued on and they all filed into the corral along with the damned bull. After Janice closed the gate I directed my neighbor and we got his truck with the stock trailer positioned at the end of our chute. With Janice at the gate and me moving cattle in the corral, we were soon able to get some of our cattle out. I got the bull into the chute and pushed it on into the stock trailer. It took about 15 to 20 minutes for Janice and I to herd, separate, and load that bull. I didn't think much of it until I noticed my neighbor and his wife watching Janice and I do our work.

My neighbor and his wife watched in disbelief. I think they thought "damned, these senior citizens know what the hell they’re doing!” Although Janice and I have herded, separated, and loaded cattle before, it was our loading the last bull that gave us the experience for this one. The last bull we loaded was my neighbor's bull’s brother. They almost look identical, big, powerful, and stubborn. We got almost $1000.00 for him at the Lampasas Cattle Auction Company. My neighbor and his wife are headed to Lampasas right now.  I'm sure they’ll get about the same for theirs.
 
Our faucets are now safe, I hope.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete