Wednesday, August 1, 2012


I saw Anthony, the slab contractor, drive in this morning.  I went over to talk to him about the timeline.  He told me that he was trying to get Consolidated Reinforcement (CRI) on the phone to set up a time for them to inspect their slab prep.  Once they inspect it and give the go ahead the concrete can be poured.  It's very interesting to see the cables and how CRI will be pulling them.  The cables will be pulled at the front and right sides of the house.  One cable will be pulled on the left side.

Anthony says they will pour the concrete on Friday at 5 a.m.  He told me that a little after they pour his crew will remove the framing and they will smooth out the earth around the slab.  He will wet down the slab, open the gate to let my cattle out of the pasture, and close the front gate before he leaves.  He will have Chris Cantwell drop by on Saturday to wet down the slab.  We'll be back from Padre Island on Sunday so Janice and I can wet the slab down then. 

Today Janice and I will be putting up an awning so the cattle can lay under some kind of shade.  I can see that they are suffering from heat stress (this damned drought!).  I've been wetting them down and most of them just stand there while I spray them with water like they were Brangus with a little bit of Lab in them.  The lack of any shade has made the heat brutal for them.  The awning was all I could think of save duct taping umbrellas on their backs.

2 comments:

  1. Haha! I would have loved to see umbrellas taped to their backs. Did you stay at Bobby's?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been like hell out here. It almost reminds me of the hell of last year. No, we didn't stay at Bobby's. Jonathan made all the arrangements (it was his idea, he wanted to get out of Laredo for a little while). It had been 10 years since we had been to Padre Island.

    ReplyDelete